follow me on Twitter

    Monday, August 18, 2008

    Social Media...aka Social Influence Marketing

    Check out: Shiv's presentation on Social Influence Marketing!

    Have you ever gone online and read a review of a product before buying it? Or have you gone on facebook and seen something that your friend just bought and thought that you might be interested in that same product? This is social media at it's finest. I have been talking a lot about social media this summer. It has played a very important role in my time here at Avenue A | Razorfish. Part of my job has been to collect information on new and exciting developments in the social aspect of marketing. This has become such a crucial role for marketers that AARF has coined new term for this kind of marketing called Social Influence Marketing. Social Influence Marketing takes into account the massive power that consumer's peer's have in determining what purchasing decisions people make. Social media uses all kinds of strategies to harness the power of this idea. The next time you are shopping online keep your eyes open for user ratings or product reviews. You might not realize it but these companies are taking advantage of peer influence! It is helpful to both the consumers and the companies! A good example is the new site that reviews iphone apps i use this. There is a lot of proof that this stuff works but a recent ReadWriteWeb article sums it up very well, check it out!

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    You know, it is funny that you wrote this today. I was just telling someone yesterday, that I find myself, more and more often reading product reviews from other consumers. Not only do I read them, I also follow them to an extent. ANd I do agree with you. When I see someone in the same peer group as me really enjoy and endorse a product, I feel like I will enjoy it as well. I think that is a huge influence on all of us, and I am really impressed at your blog on it. I will be sure to pass it on to my friend I was talking to yesterday!

    Elizabeth Baker

    Anonymous said...

    Couldn't agree more with the previous post - it's amazing where you see these now and how one or two comments will influence my decisions. Great explanation of social marketing - these terms are starting to make a bit more sense as you describe and use examples. Well done.