follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, June 12, 2008

    Breaking the Ice

    We all know that the first day anywhere can be can be very intimidating. Your nerves start going and the butterflies develop in your stomach. If it is your first time going to a real job in the corporate world these fears can be multiplied ten fold. I was a wreck on my first day but there are a couple of ways that I think can help get past the nerves.
    My first bit of advice is to figure out how you are going to get to the office and try it out the day before. This will eliminate half the stress of worrying if you are going to get there on time. It will also give you a chance to scope out the area, and find the good coffee places or fast food restaurants. If you do this the day before you start you will feel much more comfortable when you are going to work the next day.
    I am not going to hit you over the head with the basics of the first day. You know that you should get their early (I would recommend around 10-15min early) and that you should dress presentably, but there are somethings that I wish I would have done. When you get there, introduce yourself to the receptionist. You will be seeing this person every morning and evening for the rest of the summer, you should know their name and they should know yours. This also avoids the awkward conversation three days later, after you have passed the person every morning and you finally ask their name. In addition, this will also help you feel like you are joining the team, instead of just playing on it for one day. You are in it for the long hall so settle in. While we are on the topic, just try to introduce your self to as many people as you can throughout the day. I promise you won't remember half of their names, but the more people you talk the more comfortable you will feel. It is hard to do (I am still working on it) but if you try and talk to a couple new people each day you can form some relationships that will help you get past the new person stigma. Talk. Talk. Talk!!!
    You should be prepared for work to be slow for the first couple of days. Yes the first day will be a lot of paperwork and office tours (all very exciting) but your bosses will still be trying to figure out what to do with you. Do not be afraid to offer help or tell the boss you are available for what ever he or she needs. Luckily I was given something to do right away, but once I was finished I did not have anything else to do for the rest of the afternoon because I was afraid to ask. Put yourself out there to anyone who may need some help.
    Do not be afraid to ask questions. I know that everyone says this but it is especially true the first day on the job. Your boss knows that it is your first day and you do not know the exact protocol for everything. For example, it took me 45 minutes to finally get up the nerve to ask my boss what time she would like me to stay until. This was a waste of time on my part because there was no reason to be so worried about asking her. The company created an internship opportunity because they want to teach you just as much as you want to learn, so start asking questions right off the bat.
    Listen carefully and take notes when people are teaching you how to work things. You might think you look silly, but if you take notes then you won't have to go back and ask a hundred questions over and over again about how to get simple tasks done. You will appreciate it later and your boss will appreciate now being asked the same thing over and over. This will also make your work easier and faster when you have to do it in the future and you have forgotten.
    The main point of the first day is to get your feet wet. The key is to not be afraid to talk and to be yourself. Your boss will appreciate your enthusiasm and you will be much more comfortable and productive. You will be nervous, but I promise you will get through the day!

    5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Very helpful - thanks for breaking it down so easily. Well written and nicely organized. Thank you for your advice!

    Sue Graunke said...

    This is great. I know many that are in this same situation this summer. I will pass this along.

    Sue

    Anonymous said...

    I think your introducing yourself to the receptionist is the most important thing you can do for yourself. Glad you thought to include it!

    Anonymous said...

    This blog is a great idea Madeline! I am really impressed with it thus far. I have forwarded this on to college students that I know will benefit from it.

    Elizabeth Baker

    Jane said...

    Wonderful advice for college students! I wish there had been a blog like this when I started my first "real" job. I look forward to following your blog throughout the summer and forwarding it along to others that I know will benefit from your comments.

    Jane