follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, June 18, 2008

    Week Two: Diving In

    It is half way through my second week and by now I have a pretty good handle on the place. I have learned a lot about the Avenue A | Razorfish by just listening to other people talk about what they do. Our firm is basically a marketing firm that utilizes digital channels to spread the word about our clients. As a marketing and PR intern for the company itself I have been given the unique opportunity to see a lot of the work that we have done and the work that we are in the process of doing. The technology that our company is able to utilize and the creative minds that are driving that technology is amazing. **I'm going to put some links up in my website section of places I think you should check out**. The most important thing I have learned so far is that listening really pays off. Make sure you are really listening when people talking about the company and the work they are doing. It is really interesting and very helpful as you continue on.

    Beyond learning just about Avenue A, I am learning more and more about the business community every day. It is a little intimidating at first, but I am getting more and more comfortable everyday. The key is to just dive in. For example, my boss was having a meeting and I just walked in and joined them. That way I would learn more about what she does, and as it turned out I was working on the project any way, so that meeting was very helpful. Don't be afraid to jump in and create an opportunity for yourself because they will not always do it for you!

    Some other little things that I have learned:
    - Bring a sweater. The air conditioning is cold and you might not be able to get outside all day long.
    - If you are going out for lunch or coffee ask the people around and your boss you if they want or need anything. This will help you meet people and your boss will appreciate it.
    - If your office lets you listen to music bring head phones and turn on pandora.com (link is below). It is an awesome free music site that lets you listen to what ever you want.

    10 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    can you take some pics of your co-workers? not that the dogs are not cute...

    Anonymous said...

    how are the hours? are you there day and night?

    Anonymous said...

    What makes these creative minds so amazing? Are there specific things about them, or things that they do that make them so dynamic?
    Good advice about listening to people. You have a mature outlook for someone so young - if more people listened to each other in the world..........

    Anonymous said...

    I also listen to wolfgangsvault.com at my desk in the office, but I blow off the headphones, which I'm sure my colleagues appreciate.

    Maddie Graunke said...

    The hours aren't bad at all. I'm in at quarter to nine and out the door by 5ish most of the time! Its great. But my boss is great about my hours as long as I get in 40 hours a week!

    Anonymous said...

    Love it! Love it! Love it! The links are really cool. Found a few awesome recipes on the one for Ritz Crackers. Music link is great. I am listening to a few tunes by Jimmy Buffet right now. Sounds like everyday is a new adventure and the technology is cutting edge. I am very impressed! You have the right idea about "just jump in", listening to people in meetings helps to give you a good look at the overall picture or project.
    Great job Madeline!

    Lizzie S. said...

    i hate to sound shallow, but was your internship paid? If so, how much was it per hour?

    Thanks!

    Maddie Graunke said...

    Lizzie S. My internship was paid! I lucked out on that one. I ended up having a couple of options to choose from and Avenue A | Razorfish was the only one that paid their interns.

    Anonymous said...

    That's good to know. Do you remember what questions they asked during your interview? I want to apply for a similar internship in NYC. Also do they hire interns whenever or just certain months a year? thanks for asking my questions!

    Maddie Graunke said...

    Lizzie S. I interviewed for my internship in the spring, but I was keeping my eyes open for jobs all year long. They ask all kinds of questions during the interview process. Make sure you know the basics, like what your strengths are. Also do you homework on the company that you intend to apply to. That way when you they ask you question you can hopefully link things back to things that they have done in the past. This will make you look proactive in learning about their company. Hope that helps! let me know if you have any more questions! you can also email me at Madeline.Graunke@gmail.com