follow me on Twitter

    Monday, July 21, 2008

    For Better or Worse

    Check Out: The Dark Knight; The Avenue A | Razorfish ad:tech Chicago Facebook Group

    Sorry it has been so long since my last post. It has been a crazy couple of days! I only have four weeks left in my summer internship (it has gone by so fast!) and I want to share some of the good and bad things that I have noticed a little past my half way point. Lets start with the bad because I always try to end on a good note. One of the hardest things this summer is the fact that I haven't really gotten a summer. Going into my senior year I can't help but think that this is my last summer of freedom before I have to go on to the real world. It is hard hearing my friends talk about laying by the pool all day while I am stuck in an office. Not having the opportunity to live it up one last summer is a hard pill to swallow! In addition, I sometimes feel like I'm jumping into this world too quickly. It is a lot of responsibility that is taken on very quickly and now that I have had the time to slow down and think about that it is a little scary. While these things do get to me when it is a beautiful day outside and I'm stuck in the marketing fort, I can appreciate that the benefits far out weigh the negatives. The kind of experiences that I have gotten so far have proved to be incredibly helpful in learning about the marketing world, as well as the business world in general. When thinking about how I will be able to market myself, coming straight out of college, as a student who has had concrete experience in the business arena I know that this was the right thing for me to do this summer. I know that the people around me are sick of hearing this but I am learning a ton, more then I ever expected learning coming into this situation. Even if I sometimes wish that I was sitting with a cold beer by the pool!

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I think it is great how honest you are in this post! Yes, it is hard. Growing up is scary and we are never quite ready for the next step. But you are very mature in your thinking towards the future and how beneficial this will be for you.

    Elizabeth Baker

    Anonymous said...

    It is always good to look at both sides of any life experience you have. It seems to me that you have gotten a tremendous amount out of this internship. Not all companies that offer internships give the interns such an in depth look at their operation. What a perfect opportunity for you. You will go far in life with your positive attitude - always try and end with the good of all your experiences.

    Anonymous said...

    I am sure that it is very difficult listening to your friends talk about how great their summer is but it sounds like you are able to put it all in perspective and realize how beneficial this internship is. I have really enjoyed reading about all your experiences.

    Go Cubbies!!!!!!!!!