follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, July 9, 2008

    Taking Ownership

    Check Out: Jersey Boys (play), avenuea-razorfish.com

    Well the new Avenue A | Razorfish site launched yesterday which creates the perfect opportunity to talk about taking stock in what you have accomplished during your internship. As time goes on, you are going to start seeing your work pay off in different and exciting ways. For me one of the most exciting parts has been the ability to add content to this cool new Web site. It may seem like a small part of the site itself, but for me it hasn't been small at all. Let me explain why. I came into this position with very little knowledge of the company that I am now so proud to be a small part of. Through adding content I have learned so much about our agency, the people who work here, and the digital challenges that Avenue A | Razorfish has taken on. But this does not just apply to me, even if the organization that you work for is not one you find particularly exciting or promising, you can still learn a lot about the field you are pursuing by doing what seem to be easy tasks. I have also been able to help out (even if it is in a minor way) with correcting any mistakes or making changes that I think will improve the site. It has turned into a great Web site to interact on many levels, and a great place for people to gain more information about the company. Taking a small part in that has taught me a lot. And as I work more and more, I am getting more opportunities to do things on my own. Make sure you take the time to look back at what you have done so far and appreciate how it has gotten you to the place you are now.

    6 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    That is great Madeline! I think this is going to prove to be very encouraging to all summer interns... I think that quite often, internships are viewed as "resume boosters", and are regarded as such. But you are show us all that there is much to be learned in taking on an internship, and it is clear that whatever you put into it, you will get out of it many times over.

    Elizabeth Baker

    Anonymous said...

    You seem to be taking in the full experience of your internship. That is what an internship is all about. I am impressed with how you are taking ownership of all that you are doing there and your huge support of the company that is giving you this great opportunity.

    Anonymous said...

    I really like your big picture approach. I anticipate this will serve you very well as you interview next year after you graduate from University of Wisconsin. Your blog is a pleasure to read!

    Anonymous said...

    I know exactly what you mean. It is so important to see, and appericate your postion in any company, even if it is just a minor one. Great advice!

    Anonymous said...

    Every person no matter how small their job plays an important part in the overall success of a company. It is wonderful to see how you are realizing how your internship can be beneficial to your company and to you!!!!!

    Anonymous said...

    your boss seems really cool.