follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, July 2, 2008

    Making Connections

    Check out: Janet Evanovich: Fearless Fourteen

    Part of the reason that I wanted to get a summer internship was to create the possibility of moving from an intern position to a full time position after graduation. I would imagine that others go into the experience with the same expectations. Even if you do not like where you are interning, we are still offered the opportunity to create contacts for future employment. Sometimes these can be difficult or uncomfortable relationships to create, and this is something that I am still learning how to do, but it is also an important thing to practice. While it may seem premature to be thinking about this in the middle of your internship and not toward the end, creating contacts for the future is something that we all should be doing every day that we are in the corporate world. The best advice that I was give on this subject is to talk to and stay in contact with as many people that you have met as you can. This can be hard if you just met someone in passing, but if you just try to shoot an email to them it will make a very good impression. I regret not doing that with some of the people that I met at the very beginning of my internship. It is hard to go back and email someone too far after the fact. Because you are in an internship position, most of the people that you meet or are introduced to are more then happy to help in any way that that they can. Even if these relationships do not produce a direct connection for future employment, you never know how they might be helpful in the future.

    4 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Wow, I never thought of trying to make contacts at my internship. You're right, I wish I had thought of this sooner. I am glad I read that today so I can email some people I met today. Thanks for the great advice!

    Anonymous said...

    What wonderful advice!!! Sometimes it is hard to be thinking ahead but if one wants to have a job when one graduates, the company that you have interned at is a great place to make contacts!!!

    Anonymous said...

    This is awesome insight. I completely agree, it can be awkward. You don't want to be pushy, or cross boundaries, and it is hard when you are in the situation for the first time, to know what the boundaries are. But I think you are right, making connections is a great thing, and I don't think it is anything that anyone could ever fault you for! Good luck with your networking!
    Elizabeth Baker

    Maddie Graunke said...

    I think that this is one of the most important points. I'm glad you all have found it helpful!